Spoken American English 6 ; 標準美國語6
Chapter 1. Being Naive ;1.天真
1.She’s naive. 2.He’s such a kid at heart. ;她天真浪漫。 他的心赤如童子。
3.Do you know how naive you sound? 4.Be careful.He’s up to no good. ;你知道你的話有多天真 嗎? 要注意,他存心不良。
5.She’s not exactly a babe in the woods. ;她不是省油的燈。
Chapter 2. Being Talented ;2 有天賦
1.He’s something money can’t buy. 2.He’s quite a guy, good at everything. ;他是個金不換。 他很了不起,樣樣精通。
3.He’s a walking encyclopedia. 4.He always has a quick comeback. ;他是一部活的百科全書。 他反應敏捷。
5.He’s quick. 6.He’s witty. 7.He’s a fast learner. ;他的腦筋轉得快。 他很精。 他是快速的學習者。
8.He picks things up quickly. 9.He’s quick on the rebound. ;他學什么都很快。 他的反應迅速。
10.He’s something special. 11.He’s very dear to me. ;他并非等閑之輩。 他對我很親昵。
12.You’re a one-man army. 13.He’s a dynamo. ;你是一人將軍。 他很有干勁(像一部發電 機)
14.He’s capable and works hard. 15.He does the job of many. ;他既能干又認真。 他一人干好幾個人的活。
16.He can accomplish a lot by himself. 17.He’s definitely going places. ;光靠他自己就可以獲得許 多成就。 他必定會成功。
18.He’s very versatile 19.He’s gifted. 20.He’s a genius. 21.He’s talented. ;他多才多藝。 他天賦高。 他是個天才。 他才高八斗。
22.Show them what you’ve got. 23.Put your best foot forward. ;露兩手讓他們瞧瞧 你的真功夫。 把你壓箱底的功夫使出來
24.He’s a man of many talents. 25.Watch this good old American know-how. ;他才華橫溢。 瞧我露一手美國佬才懂 的絕活兒給你看。
26.He’s always one step ahead of the crowd. ;他總是比眾人先著一步棋
27.He’s a financial wizard. ;他是財經怪杰。
28.He’s so far ahead, he’s in a class by himself. ;他的造詣自成一流, 遠超別人。
29.You’re got the magic touch. 30.Some people have it Some people don’t. ;你的手法真靈。 某些人有天分, 某些人則平平庸庸。
31.A:Can you sing? B:Try me. ;你的歌唱得好嗎? 你聽我唱一首就知道了。
32.That’s my expertise 33.He has no sidekick. ;那是我的專長。 他沒幫手.
34.You should be in show biz. 35.He’s a natural. 36.He’s a born leader. ;你應該去當演員。 他有與生具來的才干。 他是天生的領導人才。
37.I have the knack for planning. 38.He sure makes it look easy. ;我有策劃的才干。 他做起來輕而易舉。
39.No one is more qualified than you. 40.You’ve got a lot to offer in this field ;沒哪個人比你更有資格。 你在這一行大有可為。
41.How do I know you’re any good? ;我怎曉得你行呢?
42.What makes you think you have what it takes to be a doctor? ;為何你認為是塊 當醫師的料子呢?
43.He’s a late bloomer 44.You are great with kids. ;他大器晚成。 你和小孩們很處得來。
45.She’s proficient in both English and Japanese. ;她通曉英日語。
46.She knows who she is. 47.I’ve got something no one can take away ;她很清楚自己的身份。 我有些別人拿不走的 真本事。
48.He could emcee a talk show. ;他可以當“脫口秀” 的主持人。
Chapter 3. Inabilities ;第3章 無能
1.You are a little out of your league. ;這個你做不來。
2.I’m a jack of all trades,but master of none. ;我什么都能做一點, 但沒哪樣精。 (我習百藝而無一精)
3.He’s working under his potential. 4.I used to be pretty good at this. ;他大材小用。 從前我很精于此道。
5.She’s more an airhead than a gear head. ;她對機械的領悟力差, 有的只是空洞的腦袋。
6.Painting is not my forte. 7.I’m all thumbs when it comes to plumbing ;畫圖并非我的長處。 一碰到修理水管的工作, 我就變得笨手笨腳。
8.I couldn’t bake a pie to save my life. ;我連最簡單的事都做不來
9.I don’t think she is secretary material. ;我不認為她是當秘書 的料子。
10.She’s not cut out to be a piantist. ;她天生不是鋼琴家的料子
11.You can’t do a single thing by yourself. ;要是沒人幫忙,你自己 什么事兒也辦不成。
12.As a CEO,he’s simply overrated. ;叫他當公司的總裁, 未免太小才大用。
13.He’s been given more credit than he deserves. ;他名過其實。 他浪得虛名。
14.His performance doesn’t live up to his reputation. ;他的才藝與盛名相去甚遠
15.This car fails to live up to its name. ;這種車子的性能, 跟它的名氣相差甚遠。
16.He’s not really as good as people say he is. ;他名不副實。
Chapter 4. Literature ;第4章 文學
1.It takes forever to finish this book. ;這本書好象一輩子也 讀不完。
2.I put a bookmark where I left off so I won’t lose my place. ;我夾了一張書簽在末頁, 免得我忘了讀到哪兒。
3.A:Can I see that book for a second? B:Okay,but don’t lose my page. ;讓我看一下那本書好嗎? 好的,但不要把我看的 那頁給弄混了。
4.This book is a great read. ;這本書讀起來好過癮。
5.This book is great as a quick reference on the job. ;這本書可作為實際 操作時的簡便參考。
6.We did have a good laugh reding that book. ;我們讀那本書的時候 著實笑了一陣子。
7.I need a book of who’s who. 8.This is the original edition. ;我需要一本名人錄。 這是本原版書。
9.This book is out of circulation. 10.I’d like to take out this book. ;這是絕版書。 我想把這本書借出去。
11.You can’t check this out.It’s on reserve. 12.Read and reap. ;你不能借這本書, 已有人預約。 開卷有益。
13.The obscene book was banned. 14.Children’s storybook characters ;淫穢書籍被禁止出售。 兒童故事里的 著名人物。
Chapter 5. Authors & Writing ;第5章 作者與寫作
1.You need to beef it up a little. 2.He’s a would-be writer. ;你必須再充實 一下它的內容。 他是一名準作家。
3.Hey,who scribbled on my stationery? 4.I can’t read your writings. ;嘿,是誰在我的信筏上 亂畫一氣的? 我看不懂你寫的字。
5.I can’t make out if this is an "e" or "c". ;我分辨不出這是e 還是c 。
6.I can’t make out this note.It’s illegible. ;這張紙條字跡潦草 (模糊)我看不懂。
7.You have a doctor’s handwriting. ;你的字跡像大夫的 一樣潦草。
8.Her handwriting is elegant,but Jim’s writing is a scrawl. ;她的筆跡娟秀,但吉姆 的字體卻像鬼畫符。
9.What’s this chicken scratch? 10.Your handwriting is super neat. ;你這鬼畫符寫的是 什么東西? 你的筆跡十分工整。
11.I think it’s spelled wrong. ;我想這個字是拼錯了。
12.There are too many misprints in the book. ;這本書拼錯了很多字。
13.This poem is not rhythmic. 14.Publish or perish. ;這首歌念起來沒有韻律感 不出書就甭想活下去。
15.Staple these together. 16.Collate these papers. ;把這些紙(文件)釘起來 按號碼的順序,把這些 文書釘在一塊兒。
17.Please have these papers shredded. 18.Save the scrap paper for recycling ;請將這些文件用碎紙機 銷毀掉。 保留廢紙以便回收再利用
19.Please jot it down in your notebook. ;請把它記在筆記本里。
Chapter 6. Airline Flights ;第6章 航班
1.I can’t take a standby.I need a confirmed seat. ;我不要候補票,我必須有 確定的機位。
2.I have a round trip ticket to D.C. 3.I have a flight to catch. ;我有一張到華盛頓的 來回票。 我趕著要去搭一趟班機。
4.I’m sorry.We’re all booked up for Flight 194. ;對不起,一九四航班已客 滿。
5.Please check in two hours in advance. ;請在起飛兩小時前 作搭機登記。
6.I hope I’m not sandwiched in between. ;在這一班機中,希望我 不會像三明治似的被 夾在中間。
7.Do you have any luggage? 8.Any carry-ons? 9.Weigh in,please. ;你有行李要托運嗎? 你有隨身攜帶的行李嗎? 請將行李過磅。
10.I’ll have charge you for exceeding the weight allowance. ;我必須加收你超重的 行李費。
11.There is a surcharge for extra bags. ;超件行李必須付額外的 費用。
12.Great,we missed our connecting flight. ;糟糕,我們沒趕上轉接 班機。
13.The plane’s been delayed by inclement weather. ;這班機已因惡劣的天氣 而延誤。
14.Move your seat forward,please. ;請將椅背豎直。
15.Return your seat to the upright position,please. ;請把做椅扶回直立的 位置。
16.Please fold your tray up. 17.You may recline after take-off. ;請將托盤墊子向上折起。 起飛后你可以使椅背 后傾。
18.We’re now cruising at an altitude of 33,000 feet. ;我們現在已飛在三萬 三千尺的高度。
19.It’s been so long. Are we almost there? 20.The flight is a little bumpy. ;已飛很久了, 我們快到了嗎? 這趟飛行有點兒顛簸。
21.Please fasten your seabelt.We’re flying in turbulence. ;請系好你的安全帶, 我們正飛行在亂流中。
22.I’m feeling a bit airsick. 23.That was a perfect landing. ;我有點兒暈機。 那是個完美的著陸。
24.Please remain seated until the plane comes to a full stop. ;請在飛機完全停止前, 繼續坐在位子上。
25.This airport looks like a maze.I can’t find my way around. ;這座機場像迷宮, 找不到我要走的路。
26.You can buy liquor duty free at the airport gift shop. ;你可以在機場的禮品店 買到免稅的酒。
27.Where is the baggage claim? 28.Your luggage is still in transit. ;在哪里提取行李呢? 你的行李還在運送中。
29.Those customs officers were really nasty. ;那些海關緝私官員太 惡劣了,
They made a mess of my luggage. ;他們把我的行李弄得 一團糟。
30.He’s still suffering from jet lag ;他仍為時差所苦,
even though it’s the third day after his arrival here in the States. ;雖然他已抵美三天。
31.My luggage got lost during the flight transfer. ;我的行李在轉機時弄丟了
Chapter 7. Lodging ;第7章 旅社
1.Sorry,we have no vacancies. ;抱歉,我們沒空房 可出租。
2.We stayed at a little B and B over the weekend. ;我們周末住在一個家庭 經營式的小客棧里。
3.This is my home away from home. 4.The rise of the room rates simply stuns me ;這是我客居在外時暫住 的家。 旅館房價高漲得令人吃驚
5.The hotel throws in breakfast with the room. ;這家旅社隨房附送免費 早餐。
6.This hotel provides posh accommodations. 7.Does this hotel have room service? ;這家旅館提供豪華的設備 這家旅館送飲食到 客房嗎?
8.I’d like a wake-up call at 6:00 A.M. please. ;請你早上六點叫醒 我好嗎?
Chapter 8. Vacations ;第8章 假期
1.I have a three day pass. 2.I have a good two or three days to kill. ;我有三天的假期。 我足足有兩三天的 時間好打發。
3.This trip is all expenses paid. 4.I’m packing! ;這趟旅行的費用都由 公司支付。 我正在收拾行李!
5.I’m off for a real swinging holiday. 6.This is the life. ;我要出發去度一個 快樂的假期。 這才像人過的日子。
7.That vacation was the best medicine. 8.I had a blissful stay in the West. ;那個假期就如仙丹妙藥。 我在西海岸留戀忘返。
9.We can all live without vacations from hell. ;我們都不愿碰上 不愉快的旅行。